Frequently Asked Questions

The hall is not handicap accessible please note  outdoor back metal stairs may be slippery when wet, also the front wooden foyer steps. 

Can’t find your question below? Contact us and we’ll be happy to provide an answer. Please read through, they should answer most of your questions.

1) Why can’t we use the Balcony?

A – The building standards were different when the Hall was built 100 plus years ago. The beautiful curved railing along the balcony is under three feet tall, coming to about mid-thigh on most people. This is too low for today’s standards. We do allow people to go up to decorate and  take photos – restricting the number of people.

2) Why can’t we have our own bartenders?

A – With every rule there is usually a reason. The Orono Town Hall fund raises for every renovation in the Hall. A lot of the Hall is original and cannot be replaced. The Board decided to put it in their bylaws that the Board will Bartend all events, so that the Hall will always have representatives present when alcohol is served. This arrangement serves both our patrons and the Hall better. Each event has a minimim of two Bartenders at $18.00 per hour each. Bartenders are paid one hour before bar opens and one hour after bar closes – set up and take down time. The Bartenders are to be paid 21 days prior to the event paid by cheque payable to the Orono Town Hall ( the balance owing on the rent $300.00 and a damage deposit cheque of $250.00 are all due at the same time)

3) Can we  invoice/postdate our cheques?

A – All the bills are paid from the rental fee, i.e. caretaker, heat, hydro, etc. – total amonut of rent needs to be paid in advance – due 21 business days prior to event.

All OTHER monies = Bar tending fees -$18.00 per hours – two bartender, the Damage deposit( $250.00) are to be received by the hall, 21 business days prior to event. Failure to do so could cancel rental.

4) What all comes with the Hall?

A – When renting the Hall the renter gets full use of the kitchen dishwasher, large sliding-door fridge, stove, and microwave (no dishes, cutlery, glassware, or plates). The renter can use the coffee makers that are in the kitchen (100 cup, 40 cup). The Hall has 25 rectangle tables ( 6ft x 3ft) and 120 padded folding chairs. If the renter is going to rent round tables the tables need to be picked up before 8:00 am the following day.( All deliveries must use the back door of the hall) So the next day renters have full use of the hall. When renting the hall on a Friday or Saturday the renter can get into the hall early on the day of the event ( the renter needs to make arrangements  – well in advance –  for a time with the caretaker). Renter can not get in the day before – to decorate –  Renter must make another contract and rent the hall at an hourly rate. 

5) Is the Hall handicap accessible?

A – Unfortunately the Hall has stairs at every entrance. The building has the main hall on the upper level and the washrooms on the lower level. We have investigated numerous ways we could make the Hall more accessible, but have yet to come up with one solution that is acceptable. We have not given up yet and are hoping to one day be accessible.

6. Who gets the money from the Bar when renting the hall?

A.  The renter gets all the money from their bar. The renter  pays the Bartenders .

7) Do we get our own Alcohol Permit? Do we supply the Bar Do we need a PAL Policy?                                                                                        When does Alcohol need to be out of the hall and when can we bring it in?

A – The Renter is responsible for their own Special Events Permit ( Alcohol) , purchasing their own Alcohol, mixes, ice, glassware. The renter must purchase a PAL (Personal Alcohol Liability Policy) through the renter’s home insurance plan. Also the renter needs a person to sell bar tickets ( person must be over 18 years old).  Alcohol is only allowed in the hall the day of the event – the date written on the Permit – the Alcohol must be removed from the hall directly following the event. Before the Bar can open the Bartenders need a copy of the Special event Permit and the PAL policy as these need to be posted. Please remember when using a Special Events Permit – it is only good for room mentioned on the permit – not outside the hall or downstairs.

8) How do I contact the Town Hall?

A) For renting information, dates of availability and to view the hall, please call the hall at 905-983-5518, or contact us through this web site.

9) What comes with the Gazebo?

A) When using the Gazebo at the Orono Library – it comes as is. NOTHING CAN BE REMOVED FROM THE ORONO TOWN HALL AND BROUGHT OVER.  Hydro is available upon request – prior to date of event.  Please Do not ask Library staff for help. Gazebo must be pre booked through the Orono Town hall. Chairs must be rented.ALL DECORATIONS MUST BE REMOVED FROM GAZEBO. IF HALL BOARD HAS TO HIRE SOMEONE TO CLEAN THE FEE WILL COME FROM THE DAMAGE DEPOSIT – MIN $50.00 FEE

10). Is there always someone at the hall?

A)   The Orono Town Hall has no full time staff, so when not in use the hall is locked. The Rental Coordinator is a volunteer – not staff. On the day of a rental, the Caretaker or a Board Member will open the hall. The Renter then needs to have someone to stay at the hall to oversee the goings on at the hall i.e. deliver of Alcohol, D.J. set up, Caterers, Decorators etc. The Caretaker or the Rental Coordinator will not go back and forth to open and lock the hall throughout the day. An Orono Town Hall Board Member or the Caretaker will lock the hall after the event is over.

11) Do we get our Damage Deposit Back?

A) When sending in the Damage Deposit the hall cashes the cheque, Then once the event is over the Caretaker and a Board member check the hall. If there are no Damages the Town Hall Board then issues the Renter a cheque for the full amount, 10 business days after event.

12) What is the Mailing Address for the Hall and the Gazebo?

Orono Town Hall
5315  Main St
Orono, ON  L0B 1M0

127 Church St
Orono, ON  L0B 1M0

13) What about Parking?
There is a three hour parking limit on the Main street  – Monday – Friday  – 9:00 to 5:00.


The Orono Town Hall Board & the Municipality of Clarington

 are not responsible for  anything lost, stolen, or damaged.